February 8, 2010

Where comes the sun?

I have moved from the highlands of Arizona, where the air is crisp and dry. Where 300 glorious days a year provide sunshine and warmth to the world's largest Ponderosa Pine forest. Where 12000' peaks streak into the sky amidst a painted backdrop of all shades orange and red. Flagstaff, what a magnificent time can be had in a 4 hour radius of the epicenter of extremes. Yes, I have moved...and where? To a place a 1,000 miles east. My birth home. Where the sun shines half the time, and for the past month, the weather has been more miserable than I can remember.

Oklahoma City...why can't there be oil and gas jobs in more interesting places. I'm struggling finding good running from day to day. I battle cars nearly running me off the road, no shoulder, and ditches. Skunks greeted me today as I tried to pull in a 30 minute rest day. I think there are many people here who could have the potential to run long, but they don't have the opportunity to be introduced to the sport of trail running. Though today, unlike in the past, there are at least two trail running groups in Oklahoma. I'm starting to find hope!

I've been training for a few races coming up: Post Oak Run, A-OK 50k, and the Boston Marathon. The first is February 28th, a 25k in Tulsa. Right around the corner.

Later this week, I'll be in SoCal on vacation. I plan on running a 5k in San Diego. Should be a good time. I'll do a nice report afterword.

I plan on discussing a bit about furry, four-legged running companions...I'm in the market.

No comments: