February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010




I'm no stranger to going on vacation and signing up for races. In fact, I enjoy running around new
There were many characters at the race. Of course, the usual red dresses of the Hash Harriers (Anon!), a guy in a white robe with red hearts all over it, a guy dressed as a Pacific Islander native with a headdress, and a woman at the 5k turnaround dressed as a queen with a little white 'toy' do
g and a scepter.

The registration and start/finish of the race was in San Dieguito County Park, north of San Diego. It is an out and back with a shorter section on the return. As low key as a very well organized and known run can get, there were no timing chips. As this was a training run for me for the Boston Marathon, I decided to just take it easy. Rachel signed up for the 5k but started in the wrong race! Apparently that happened to quite a few people. I was shocked when I saw her running to the turnaround as I returned to the finish. A great valentines adventure.
I came in around 1:42:00 which I was happy with, a sub-8 minute pace. I grabbed some water and headed to the final uphill to the finish to cheer on Rachel. She came in around a sub-9 which is great for her. It helps to train at 7000 feet I suppose as well (she lived in northern Arizona).
There was one issue that some people had trouble with. It was more of a
challenging cool-down, but climbing back up the hill to the beer garden and tents was difficult for some people. Anyway, it was a great race on a beautiful Sunday morning sunny California day.



No comments: