January 27, 2008

Rainy Day in Flag

I started this blog for running ventures that never came to be due to bum knees. I plan on having surgery next month on one knee and the other the following month...gotta find a doctor first!


Though I'm somewhat out of commission I'm still finding time to get out and explore. Last weekend I drove up to the south end of Grand Staircase-Escalante to explore the Coyote Buttes area including the Wave. I met a guy up there who had permits and since they were hard to get...really hard, I had no problem hiking with a stranger.


The Wave was amazing. There was a frozen puddle at the base of it and the sun hadn't quite reached the bottom of the formation so I was sliding up and down this thing. As the sun started to show itself, my last and final slide cracked the ice. I heard a deep sound and got off as fast as I could....it was great!

The next day we drove out to a place called Cottonwood Teepees and walked around. There were amazing fin formations in the sandstone. Irv, the dude I was hiking with said it was crazy they hadn't been knocked over by 'coyotes chasing rabbits.' I though it was nuts wind hadn't blown them over they looked so fragile.

After this nice area we drove to a place called White Pockets which was basically as my pal Emily from the U of A called them, giant turtles...good call Em. They were a lot of fun to run around on, my knees would pay for it later but I cared not!

The night inbetween these two days I stayed at the bunkhouse inbetween Page, AZ and Kanab, UT. There was a stove in the building and they gave me all the wood I could ever need. There was a microwave in there, plenty of bunks, running water but the stove was my favorite...I wish I had a fireplace of my own! 15 bucks a night is well worth it, they only take cash so if you go keep that in mind.








2 comments:

Adelyn said...

Beautiful photos!! Thanks for coming on by my blog :) I'm sorry to hear your injuries are so serious! Hopefully the surgery will be successful and you'll be back again before long.

Great optimism though, and great that you're still getting out and enjoying this wonderful world :D

I'm in the same place with a big race calendar that might not materialize....hopefully good luck will come to us both!

Sara said...

Mark I absolutely love the photo of the wave.